Yes, people lie. While this isn’t a shocking revelation to anyone, it certainly seems to be forgotten when it comes to online dating. People think that just because they’re meeting others who want to find a date too that everything is going to go perfectly.
Just as in the ‘real’ dating world, some people aren’t all that they seem. To help you spot the liars before they get into your home, here are some red flags that the person you like shouldn’t become a person you love.
- They never want to meet in person – If you’re on a dating site, you should be there to actually meet people, not just to ‘hang out’ in IM boards and in chat rooms.
- Their picture doesn’t quite match up to how they describe themselves or you meet in person and they’re nothing like their picture – If they lie about what they look like, who knows what else they’ll lie about?
- They can’t give you an answer as to why they’re dating online – Everyone has a reason. If they’re honest about what they want and you don’t agree with them, that’s okay. But if they avoid answering that question, they’re hiding a spouse probably.
- They only use free sites – If you’re trying to find someone to hook up with, you use free sites. But if you’re looking or something long term, you’re willing to put your money where your motivations are. Many people on free sites are just looking for sex or they’re looking to cheat on a spouse.
- They don’t look you in the eye when you meet.
- They change your date suddenly at the last minute.
Over time, you’ll be able to spot the liars from their profiles, but until then, it’s best to treat any prospective first date like an employee you might hire. And they have to prove they’re qualified and up to your high standards.