Let’s face it; whether you’ve just started dating, or you’ve been married for 10 years, choosing a gift for your significant other will probably be the hardest gift choice of the holiday season. If you’re in a really new relationship, even deciding whether or not to buy a gift can be tricky. Our advice on that one is, if you like the person and see yourself continuing to go out with them; buy a gift. If you don’t like them enough to want to buy them a gift, you probably shouldn’t be seeing them by Christmas anyway. Choosing the gift may be tough. Here are some questions to ask yourself to help choose the right gift:
- What would he or she like to spend more time doing if they had the time?
- What would he or she love to have but would never buy for himself/herself?
- Pay attention to things he or she comments on when you’re out together. It could give you really good ideas.
- Go places that will help you choose gifts. For instance, take him to a wine or beer tasting; make a mental note about which varieties he likes and come back later and buy some.
- Talk to her friends. A woman’s girlfriends are usually full of ideas and quite happy to help.
- Stay away from clothing purchases, especially for women, unless you’re absolutely sure she’ll love it and it will fit. Clothing is the single most returned category of Christmas gift.